Opioid binding in giant toad and goldfish brain
Brooks AI, Standifer KM, Cheng J,
Ciszewska G, Pasternak GW
Cotzias Laboratory of Neuro-Oncology,
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center,
New York, NY.
Receptor 1994 Spring; 4(1):55-62


Opiate receptor expression in phylogenetically different species has played an important role in the study of opioid receptor pharmacology. Total opioid binding measured with the nonselective ligand 3H-diprenorphine reveals a Bmax of 21.7 +/- 1.37 fmol/mg tissue wet wt and a KD of 0.17 +/- 0.03 nM in Bufo marinus (giant toad), as well as a Bmax of 18.17 + 0.41 fmol/mg tissue wet wt and a KD of 0.47 +/- 0.18 nM in Carassius auratus (goldfish). Despite the similar levels of 3H-diprenorphine binding, the composition of binding subtypes in the two species differs. Approximately 30% of total binding corresponds to mu receptors in both species, whereas neither kappa 1 nor delta binding can be detected. However, the remaining 70% of binding differs between the toad and goldfish. In the toad, the non-mu binding corresponds to kappa 2 sites, whereas in the goldfish, the non-mu binding corresponds to kappa 3 sites. The sites can be distinguished biochemically, as well as pharmacologically. After affinity labeling the sites with 3H-NalBzoH, the retention times on an ion-exchange column differ for the peaks of kappa binding in the two species. Although Bufo marinus (giant toad) and Carassius auratus (goldfish) brains express kappa and mu opioid binding, the kappa subtypes in these two species differ.
Why itch?
Tickled rats
Feline mania
Opiated frogs
Opiated worms
Opiated crickets
Discounting rewards
Fentanyl and ketamine
Etorphine and the elephant
Opioids, mood and cognition
Opioids, dopamine and alcohol
Heroin, cocaine and the squirrel monkey

and further reading

Future Opioids
BLTC Research
Utopian Surgery?
The Abolitionist Project
The Hedonistic Imperative
The Reproductive Revolution
Critique of Huxley's Brave New World

The Good Drug Guide
The Good Drug Guide

The Responsible Parent's Guide
To Healthy Mood Boosters For All The Family